I hope you are enjoying the summer break. The following information will assist all of us in having a smooth start to the new school year.
1) This year CIS will be offering staggered entrance. High School students (Grades 10-12) will begin classes on Monday, August 27th. Junior High students (Grades 7-9) will begin classes on Tuesday, August 28th. On Wednesday, August 29th all students, Pre-School to Grade 6 will begin classes. This staggered entrance will allow all students to become familiarized with the campus, learn about school rules and policies and to ensure a safe and relaxed atmosphere for all of our new and returning families to settle in for a great year of learning and fun. Students should come to class in full dress uniform and ready to learn!
2) School hours of operation:
- Regular student hours are from 8:00 a.m to 3:19 p.m Monday to Friday.
- Early Dismissal Staff Meeting (one Friday per month) student hours are from 8:00 a.m.-1:54 p.m.
- After-School Activities will take place Monday-Thursday from 3:25 p.m-4:10 p.m (Beginning early September 2018 to June 2019)
- Students are not permitted to be on campus prior to 8:00 a.m. Only students that are registered in after-school activities may remain on campus past 3:30 p.m.
- Student arrival and dismissal times may change due to special school events or inclement weather. Parents will be made aware of any changes to the school day in a timely manner.
3) If you require bussing for your child, please contact the office staff at 20 3993 9920 Monday to Friday from 8:00 a.m to 5 p.m to inquire. For parents or students using drop off service, please use the pull-in lane provided. We request that parents follow the instructions from school security and staff to ensure a safe drop-off zone for everyone.
4) Paid school lunch is provided in the cafeteria each day for all students. If you do not wish to partake in paid school lunch, student must bring their own lunch from home. Parents and Ayi’s will not be allowed in the school cafeteria or foyer to drop off lunches for students. Take away food (ie McDonalds) and restaurant deliveries are strongly discouraged at the school. Your cooperation is greatly appreciated. Students are not permitted to leave campus during the lunch hour.
5) Please mark your calendar for September 3 from 5:00pm-7:00pm for our first annual curriculum night and After-School Activity Sign-up (ASA). You will be able to meet your child’s teacher, learn about the school from our new leadership and administration team and choose your child’s activities for the year.
6) CIS provides inclusive, heterogeneous classes. Students are not placed in classes by ability, commonly referred to as ‘streaming’. Every attempt is made to make each homeroom in a grade level as similar to other classes at the same grade level. Each year, class lists are developed with the following considerations:
- Male and female ratio;
- Ratio of native English speakers and English learners;
- Diverse academic abilities; and
- Relationships between children.
The school develops homeroom and class lists. Parental requests for preferred teachers are not considered.
Class lists will be available on the first day of school. All homeroom teachers will meet students in the foyer beginning at 8:00 a.m to arrange students into classes and to bring them to the correct classroom.
7) If there have been any changes to your personal information, including address or phone number, please contact the office as soon as possible to change this information so that we can contact you throughout the year.
Thank you for choosing CIS for your child’s education. We appreciate your cooperation and support! Welcome back to our 2018-2019 school year! Go Grizzlies.
Mrs. Tanya Thiessen Kim Romyn
Principal Assistant Principal